I recently found some nice hard pine thrown away from a wood processing place down the road and a scrap piece of what looked like an aluminum awning track at my local transfer station/dump. The channel fit the exterior grill mount so I decided to whip up a quick table with the discarded pine I had found. This mounts on the exterior of the camper with the channel and a paint-stick extension. The paint stick serves double duty along with a brush head to remove the debris from the slide-out before pulling it back in. The construction was simple and was built based on some quick measurements I did.
Here’s an easy mod to make some of the storage in your X213 a little easier to access. This may apply to other models depending on how the Couch/Bed is configured. On my camper the skirt beneath the couch is purely decorative. In that I mean it does not structurally support any weight of the sofa. On my model the skirt was held on with two square drive screws. from the back. Remove these screws to give access to the ample storage under the sofa. You might now even be able to fit something under there.
I recently lost one of the caps for my nearly new water jug. A quick search showed me I could order a replacement cap (and spout) for $10! I would never pay that kind of money for a few cents worth of plastic. Instead of throwing away this really nice jugs I decided to design a replacement cap in Fusion 360 instead using the cap from my second can as a reference. The water can in question is this one which we purchased from Amazon: http://amzn.to/29JFeCw
A lot of the Sate and National park campgrounds we visit to do not have full-hookups or RV sites. To counter this I wanted to make our camper a little more capable of boondocking or dry camping. The first upgrade that one can do is install some solar panels to keep the lights on, heater running and the water pumping. So I set out and did some research as to what others had done and how they had done it. I settled on a Renogy 200W Monocrystalline Solar system to start with and can upgrade it trivially up to 400W with the addition of two more solar panels – which should still fit on my roof when done.
Having a dog often results in a torn screen on the screen door of our camper. So we looked around for different solutions to prevent this. We wanted something that looked good and still allowed airflow. We considered a sheet of Lexan, but this prevents airflow. After searching around we found several companies selling screens that can screw on the door to protect them like this Camco Screen Door Grille or this slightly less expensive Camco Aluminum Screen Door Grille. These solutions were expensive ($30-60) and really don’t look that great. We also considered taking a $10 piece of metal expanded sheet and making a frame for that to screw or mount onto the door. On our way to Home Depot to pick up the materials, we stopped at our local transfer station and found a damaged Safety 1st Bamboo Gate. It had a nice bamboo frame and a light plastic grate. It also happened to be the perfect size to fit on the door.
I recently purchased a 2015 Jayco Jayfeather X213 Camper. This trailer has the prefect sleeping configuration for our family with a King Size slide-out and 2 Bunks. This allows us to setup and not have to break-down the table or convert a sofa for sleeping quarters for our two children every night. The two bunks are nice but getting into them without assistance can be difficult for a child and downright impossible for an adult. To remedy this situation I looked into several commercially available ladder solutions such as the following:
But at nearly $60.00 and made of ugly metal that didn’t match the interior of the camper I passed. In addition this ladder was wider than it needed to be and needed to be fastened into one location. I found several other options while searching the internet but none fit the bill so I sketched out what I wanted on paper and came up with the following requirements: Read more